7 Good Reasons Why You Should Stay Humble
Humility is a fascinating concept, but an oft-misunderstood one. A lot of people equate humility with submissiveness and docility, and end up recoiling somewhat from the thought of being humble. One can hardly blame them, for no one particularly enjoys being a ‘doormat’ that others walk over.
Real humility, however, is something quite different. The word humility, incidentally, comes from the Latin word ‘humus’, which literally means ‘earth’ or ‘ground’. A humble person is, thus, someone who is grounded, down-to-earth, and rooted in reality.
Interestingly, the word ‘human’ also has its roots in the same Latin word. According to author Richard Rohr, “Being human means acknowledging that we’re made from the earth and will return to the earth. We are earth that has come to consciousness. … And then we return to where we started — in the heart of God. Everything in between is a school of love.”
Humility, humanity, honesty, and love have many overlapping characteristics and, in many ways, seem to be synonyms for each other. So what do humble people look like?
1. Humble people are self-aware: They have a pretty good idea of their own strengths and areas of development. And one big reason for this is that…
2. They are honest and open: Humble people are open to feedback and input from others because they realize that they don’t have all the answers. They realize they don’t necessarily ‘see the whole picture’ and so they remain open to new ways of seeing things, and even themselves, the way others see them. They realize they aren’t perfect and know it all, and because of that…
3. They remain life-long learners: Humble people realize that there is a lot they don’t know. They understand there is always room for learning and growth, and they seldom have a know-it-all attitude.
4. Humble people are confident in who they are! This may seem like a contradiction-in-terms, but as the author Stephen Covey wisely notes, “Only those who recognize that they don’t have the answers ever go looking for answers, and only those who recognize their own potential ever have the courage and the confidence to go looking.”
5. They don’t put others down: Because humble people are ‘comfortable in their own skin’, they don’t have a need to belittle others. It has been said that criticising others is simply a dishonest way of praising ourselves. Humble people realize that just as they themselves are a ‘work in progress’, others are too.
6. They are genuinely good listeners: The ability to listen well is grounded in a desire to genuinely learn more. One of the great benefits of being a good listener is that not only do others enjoy having you around, after a while you realize you have learned a lot.
7. Humble people have an encouraging spirit: One feels safe, respected and valued around humble people. As Maya Angelou put it so well, “People will forget what you said, they will even forget what you did, but they will never forget how you made them feel.”
Stay humble! It’s the best way to be truly happy! 🙂
Have a great week! (And do check out our certification programmes which teach you how to become happier, more self-aware and understanding of others)
‘Midweek Musings’ is the intellectual property of Anahat Organisation Development Consultancy Pvt. Ltd. © 2022 All Rights reserved