FIRO-B® - Upcoming events more
FIRO-B® Products More
Introduction to FIRO-B® Instrument
Judith A Waterman, Jenny Rogers
Product Code: 2209View More Details
Introduction to FIRO Business Instrument
Judith A. Waterman and Jenny Rogers
Product Code: 2504View More Details
Introduction to FIRO-B® Instrument in Organizations
Eugene R Schnell, Allen L Hammer
Product Code: 2219View More Details
Fundamental Interpersonal Relations Orientation-Behavior
The Fundamental Interpersonal Relations Orientation-Behavior™ (FIRO-B®) helps answer questions relating to teamwork and leadership potential. The FIRO-B® assessment can be used to cultivate highly effective teams by helping team members discover how their needs for inclusion, control, and affection form their team's success.
Easy to administer with just 54 items, this powerful tool has helped people around the world better understand their behavior and the impact it has on other individuals and in team settings. The tool offers critical insights that help leaders, managers, and individuals in organisations understand their natural style and the impact it has on the way they communicate and the way others perceive them.
Applications: the insights provided by the FIRO-B® assessment can be used to improve communication, team building, development, leadership and coaching.
Target Users: HR training and personnel professionals, consultants & counselors involved in mentoring, coaching and improving understanding of self, and / or team building & compatibility
Versions: Online, Paper-based
Administration time: 20 minutes
Certification Program: FIRO-B® - 2 Days
Evolution & Model
The Fundamental Interpersonal Relations Orientation–Behavior™ (FIRO-B®) instrument was created in the late 1950s by William Schutz, PhD. Schutz developed the FIRO-B theory to aid in the understanding and predicting of how high-performance military teams would work together.
In addition to his own observations of group behavior, Schutz was influenced by the psychological literature, including the works of Freud, Adorno, Fromm, Adler, and Jung, among others. He posited that interpersonal needs could be grouped into three categories: Inclusion, Control, and Affection.
The FIRO-B model describes the interaction of these three categories of interpersonal need along two dimensions: expressed and wanted. The FIRO-B instrument can also be used in conjunction with the MBTI® instrument for leadership development with the Leadership Report Using FIRO-B® and MBTI® and in team-building workshops
The FIRO-B™ is ideally suited to:
Team building and team development:Identifying likely sources of compatibility or tension; identifying leadership style; aiding effective decision making; improving communication, openness and trust; and resolving conflicts
Individual development:Increasing self-awareness and interpersonal effectiveness as part of the coaching process, career development or personal growth
Relationship Counselling:Identifying and resolving possible sources of incompatibility and dissatisfaction
Selection and placement: The FIRO-B tool can help to structure interviews and assess likely team roles or interpersonal behavior, but only in combination with other assessment techniques.
Program DetailsAnahat's existing 2-day FIRO-B® certification program has been modified to include a segment on the FIRO Business® tool. The first day of the certification program will cover FIRO® theory, while the second day will contain information on the FIRO Business®. The certification program will also cover:
- Introduction to and interpretation of FIRO-B® scales
- The FIRO-B® theory of interpersonal behavior
- The development and technical properties of the questionnaire
- Guidance and practice in administration & feedback
- Ethical issues
- Applications in team building, individual and management development
The FIRO-B® & FIRO Business instruments generate a wide range of reports that can be customized per your need and budget.
- Leadership Report Using the FIRO-B® and MBTI®: Explores a person's leadership and communication styles.
- FIRO-B® Profile: Provides a basic summary of FIRO-B® scores.
- FIRO-B® Interpretive Report: Interprets results in terms of team and organizational effectiveness.
- FIRO Business Profile: Developed specifically for use in business environments and ideal for leadership development.
- FIRO Business Leadership Report: Provides insight into communication styles and behavior that affect leadership performance.
Reliability and ValidityAcross a U.S. national sample of 3,091 individuals, results indicate that reliability coefficients for all measures are satisfactory, ranging from .85 to .96 (Hammer & Schnell, 2000). Test-retest reliability coefficients also demonstrate good reliability—ranging from .71 to .85—for three different samples reported in the FIRO-B® Technical Guide (Hammer & Schnell, 2000). Research results also support the validity of the instrument, showing it to be related to measures of leadership (e.g., Fiedler's Least Preferred Co-worker scale, -.43 to .46), and relationships (-.03 to .27) (Hammer & Schnell, 2000).
A wide variety of resources including technical guides and practical application booklets can help you understand and use the FIRO-B ® and FIRO Business instruments in your life. These are also available on the Anahat Store.
- FIRO-B® Technical Guide: Provides current information on the interpretation and uses of the instrument.
- Introduction to the FIRO-B®Instrument: Shows how to incorporate FIRO-B®r esults into work and personal lives.
- Introduction to the FIRO-B®Instrument in Organizations: Looks at interpersonal needs and behaviors in the workplace.
- Participating in Teams: Explores FIRO-B® results in team situations.
- Introduction to the FIRO Business® Instrument: Apply FIRO Business® results specifically within business contexts.
- FIRO Business® Technical Guide: Provides technical background on the construction and use of the FIRO Business® instrument.